Phoebe: Ok, here are the birthday candles. Where's the birthday cake?
Monica: Ok, we're not having birthday cake, we're having birthday flan.
Chandler: Excuse me?
Monica: It's a traditional Mexican custard dessert.
Joey: Oh that's nice, Happy birthday Rachel, here's some goo.
Let's just go for it.
- 1.5C unsweetened almond milk, separated
- 1/2t agar powder
- 1t cornstarch
- 1/4C sugar
- 1/2t cinnamon
- 1/2T coconut oil
- pinch salt
- In a sauce pan over high heat, mix 1C milk and the agar, and bring to a boil. Turn down to medium or med-high, keep it at a low boil for about 5 minutes, and stir often.
- Mix the other 1/2C milk and cornstarch in a measuring cup, then add to the sauce pan. Bring to boil, turn down heat to a low boil. Keep stirring
- Add the sugar and cinnamon. Stir while mixture is bubbling at a low boil for about 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut oil and salt. Let simmer for 2-3 minutes, keep stirring.
- Pour mixture into small ramekins or dishes (it filled two 4-inch ramekins for me) and refrigerate for at least an hour
It's nice to be able to make such a custard in case friends or guests ever request such a thing, which they likely will. Just not on their birthdays! Monica, I love you, but you should've made Rachel a birthday cake. (And never invite her parents anywhere!)